Requirements for Audition:
- be enrolled in (and regularly attending) a weekly ballet and/or modern technique class at DancEast
- be at least 8 years of age (or have your 8th birthday by July 31, 2014)
- be willing to commit to weekly Saturday rehearsals between August 1, 2014 and May 31, 2015 (with additional summer rehearsals as needed for performances)
- be excited about dance, interested in working on a variety of genres, and have the desire to perform in a variety of venues
For the audition, dancers should arrive on time, in proper dance attire and ready for any genre. Ballet and tap shoes are encouraged, but please don't purchase them just for this audition. Positive attitudes are a must!
2013-2014 Requirements for Participation:
- Attendance: The 2014-15 DEW Season will run from August 2014 to June 2015. Rehearsals are held on Saturday afternoons for 1.5 hours, and your dancer will be asked to be with us on the majority of Saturdays. A detailed schedule for the 2014-2015 Season will be distributed upon acceptance into the workshop. All dancers will participate in a minimum of one piece. Attendance is mandatory. If a dancer must miss a rehearsal we ask that you notify Lauren (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Emily (email@example.com) as soon as possible so that we are able to inform the choreographer. Students are permitted to miss ONE rehearsal for their performance piece! We understand that things come up, but an agreement to become a part of DEW is an agreement to give it your all! If more than one rehearsal is missed, the dancer will be asked to sit out the remaining rehearsals for that piece and will be unable to perform that particular dance. This attendance requirement is to ensure fairness to all dancers and the sanity of our choreographers. Extenuating circumstances can be discussed with Emily and Lauren.
- Fees: There will be a $35 monthly fee associated with DEW. This fee will help us to pay our instructors along with providing additional master class opportunities and small costume additions for performances. Any opportunities that arise for dancers to view other performances will be a separate fee based on the group rate of the performance. These opportunities to attend viewings will be optional.
- Attire: All DEW dancers will be required to purchase a black camisole leotard, black jazz pants, tan tights, pink tights, black ballet skirt, and black jazz shoes. DancEast will take an order for these items to ensure that all dancewear is of good quality and similar style to those previously purchased. Additional information concerning these items and cost are attached.
- Attitude: DancEast has a zero tolerance policy in regards to poor attitudes. We will expect all dancers to be supportive of one other and attend rehearsals with positive attitudes. Any dancer who bullies other dancers, displays disrespectful behavior and/or consistently comes with a poor attitude may be asked to leave DEW.
- Performances: Dancers are expected to attend all DEW performances. We are currently working on the schedule of these performances for the 2014-2015 Season and will provide those dates as soon as they become available.
- Required Technique Classes: We believe that a great deal of learning takes place during rehearsal, choreography, and master classes but believe that these are extensions of a dancer’s technique training. All DEW dancers will be required to participate in at least TWO Ballet and/or Modern technique classes. Classes that are appropriate for your dancer will be e-mailed after auditions. Dancers are of course encouraged to take additional classes including: tap, tumbling, jazz, and hip hop but these will not count towards their technique requirement.
- Dance Intensive: All DEW dancers will be required to attend the Dance Intensive camp.